South Stoneham House (1708) is a Grade II* listed property and the former residence of Edward Dummer, the man responsible for the development of the Devonport Dockyards. This fine house, usually attributed to Nicholas Hawksmoor with grounds by Capability Brown was acquired by the University of Southampton in 1922 to act as a Halls of Residence.
The Team, headed by our Conservation specialist, undertook a series of commissions to survey the condition and suitability of the Main House as well as its 1960’s adjacent additions to provide an integrated University Conference Facility.
Planning permission and Listed building consent were secured after healthy negotiations with the Local City Council Conservation Team. The commission was further extended to cover all statutory approvals and detailed designs. A further instruction to the appointment was undertaken to produce a full tender and working drawings package.
Conservation of Listed Building